CSG community involvement
About the GasFields Commission
The State Government established the GasFields Commission to manage the co-existence between rural landholders, regional communities and the coal seam gas industry in Queensland.
The Gasfields Commision Bill 2012 was introduced in the Queensland Parliament on 27 Novmber 2012 to establish the commision as an independent statutory body. The Bill has been referred to the State Development, Infrastructure and Industry Parliamentary Committee for review and further community consultation. The commitee is due to report back to parliament by 27 March 2013, with debate on the Bill likely to take place in the first half of 2013. For further information, please visit the State Development, Infrastructure and Industry Parliamentary Committee website.
Membership of the GasFields Commission
Based in Toowoomba, the commission is chaired by Mr John Cotter, former chairperson of the Surat Basin CSG Engagement Group, and past AgForce president.
The six part-time commissioners supporting Chairman John Cotter are:
- Mr Don Stiller - a land holder and former Mayor of Taroom
- Mr Ian Hayllor - a cotton farmer and irrigator who has a long involvement in managing co-existence through his role as Chair of the Basin Sustainability Alliance
- Councillor Ray Brown - Mayor of Western Downs Regional Council
- Mr Rick Wilkinson - Chief Operating Officer of the Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association
- Professor Steven Raine - a leading academic and soil scientist from the University of Southern Queensland
- Mr Shane Charles - Chief Executive Officer of Toowoomba and Surat Basin Enterprise, with more than 20 years experience as a lawyer
For further information please visit the Queensland GasFields Commission website.